The Italian diner

The Italian Diner


Dale, Linda and Buggles (the cat)
My wife Linda and I bought Calzones Italian Diner and the motel above it 14 years ago. I do the cooking while she does the serving.  We both run the motel. A few years ago we adopted an orange tabby cat named niggles who loves catching mice in the kitchen.
 Recently we wanted to find out from customers about how they found our diner. This is what we got from our newest server Jane and the first four customers she got on her first overnight shift.

Jane and Erika
My life as a waitress at the diner all started while I was on the run from my ex. My daughter and I were driving west from Massachusetts.  We were in Wyoming near Casper when we saw a diner off of highway 20. The diners name read Calzones. It's an Italian truck stop diner not the usual all American diner so of course we had to go in.  I was secretly hoping that we could stay in the motel 8 above the diner for a while. I was tired and starting to run low on money and needed a way to earn some.
When my daughter Erika and I got out of the car and walked to the entrance of Calzones feeling tired and hungry I noticed a sign in the window. The sign read 'looking for a waitress’.
We were seated by a woman named Linda who looked middle aged, a chain smoker and slightly unhappy.
‘What can I get you two?’
'We’ll take two bacon cheddar burgers with two iced teas please!’ I said.
'Alright, that's two bacon cheddar burgers with two iced teas coming up.’
“Erika, I saw a sign in the window saying help wanted.  We've been on the road for while now, I'm thinking that we should stay here for a while. We can live in the hotel, and you can go to school here in Casper and finish up your sophomore year. What do you think?”
“ I think that is a great idea mom. It gives us time to rest from being on the road.”
About 10 minutes later we had our food.
“How's your food? Is there anything else I can get for you?”
“It's great thanks! I am hoping to speak to the owner about a job and a room to stay in for a few months.”
“Sure let me get Dale the owner/cook.”
A few minutes later a balding man of about 250 lbs around 40 came out in a chefs white top with grease stains on it.
“So, I hear you are looking to be our new waitress here. We’ve been looking for a while but nobody has shown much interest. You're Hired! You can start work tomorrow night. I’ll get you a room key once you're finished with your meal.”
“ Uh,wow, thanks! That was fast.”
After getting our room key we settled into room 201.
The next night I started my first shift as a waitress. I asked Erika to help choose three customer stories we could post on Windows of the front entrance of the restaurant.

Gary
 I was walking down Highway 20 from Big Horn county jail. I stole a truck 20 years ago just incase you were wondering. I was hungry and noticed this Italian Diner named Calzone with a motel above it. The Wyoming government gave me enough money for food  a place to stay and clothes.
 I walked in and was seated by the bar where I ordered pizza and  coke. After eating my server asked me to fill out a short description of  how I found this place. I decided to get a room after so that I could get a good night's sleep and start my job hunt.

John
I have been a truck driver for 35 years. I am often traveling down highway 20. One of my favorite places to stop is calzones. It's a quaint quiet little Italian restaurant diner. It can be lonely driving a truck especially for a moving company. Every time I step into calzones late at night for some coffee, food and rest I end up having great conversations with the few other in the diner. Satisfied I go back to my truck catch some sleep and hit the road again. Until next time calzones.

Marrissa
My parents are always fighting so I sneak out of the house at night and go to calzones for a snack. I enjoy coming to calzones Italian diner because it's quiet especially at night. I do my homework and read there.
 On this particular night that I am writing my experience in calzones  I met the new waitresses daughter Erika and we started talking. I have a feeling that we will be good friends. Erika and I will be attending the same high School. I look forward to my future late night get togethers with Erika at Calzones Italian Diner.

Abby
I am on my way to California to become a model. I was driving along highway 20 looking for a place that isn't McDonald's. I noticed a diner named calzones and thought this is perfect. I noticed pizza on the menu and decided to order it. The food was delicious and the service was great. I would definitely recommend this place to people and hope to come back someday to it.

Dale, Linda, Jane and Erika all agreed that the four customers to get their short story about Calzones told put in the windows of the entrance and on the new website were Gary, John, Marrissa and Abby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

photo memories

Briar